Davis Reading Programme for Young LearnersThe Best Start:
Young learners deserve the best start we can give them. Strong research evidence suggests that children who are exposed to Davis methods at pre-reading or primary level (age 5-7) benefit in the following ways:
- They are highly unlikely to develop a learning difficulty.
- They are significantly more likely to qualify for gifted programme referrals.
- Their basic word recognition will be among the highest levels expected for their age group.
Its aims are:
- to provide lifelong learning skills to younger children through a partnership between Facilitator, child and parent
- to give one or both of the child's parent, or a support person, sufficient confidence and skill to continue working with the Davis Young Learner's Kit after the programme
- to provide children with the conceptual skills needed to develop reading fluency and comprehension.
As part of the programme, students will always receive the Davis Young Learner Kit for Home Use, to be used at home to follow up with the programme.
Copyright Davis Dyslexia Association International - Used with permission. www.dyslexia.com/davisreading.htm